Friday, February 4, 2011

BEING A KID

I've been so fortunate to participate recently in two back-to-back weekend writing workshops with noted film director Mark Travis (http://www.markwtravis.com/the-solo-workshop.html) and was inspired to weave a story poem about some pivotal childhood experiences. *

Since the theme of the upcoming Honolulu Pen Women Biennial Art Show is also about childhood (the title is "When I Was a Kid"), I find myself looking for and taking pictures of children wherever I am.



 This girl was busy carrying water back and forth


 An adorable Chukese girl
 This was a delightful boy who wore his favorite underwear as a hat

 Here is a better view of his "hat"

I love her purposeful energetic stride

* As a result of winning the James M. Vaughan Poetry Contest recently (What a wonderful honor!), I'm being offered a poetry reading at the Hawaii Pacific University Downtown Campus on Thursday, April 28, 12:30-1:55 PM, where I may present the story poem I developed at the Mark Travis workshops.  I'll post details later. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on receiving the award, Elsha! Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the reading as I have to babysit.

    Keep up the good work! You are always brimming over with new, creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement, Gigi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it for overall body of work, or a specific poem? If so, may I read it?
    Mahalo & Ho'omaika'i, Elsha!!

    ReplyDelete