Thursday, March 8, 2012

AFTER THE MEETING


The Honolulu Branch of the National League of American Pen Women holds their meetings at the Pineapple Room at Macy's every month (except during the summer).  We come, we chat, we eat, and listen to a speaker.  When we're done, we leave.  We've done this for years, actually for decades, and it's easy to take things for granted.  We forget how much work goes into the planning and setting up of every meeting.  Board members and Pen Women Friends work without pay, gladly volunteering their talents, time and energy.  Restaurant managers, buyers, delivery people, chefs, wait staff, dishwashers, laundry workers... Many people work behind the scenes to serve us.  After each meeting we simply leave.  Today I stayed behind and took in the room the way it was left.  Take a look.


Here is R.J. who has served us for the last four years


He scrapes the leftovers off every plate into the slop bucket.


Leftover water and tea go into it as well.  Everything edible goes into it, 
including any pineapple chunks and fruits from the bar that were used in drinks.

 
It all goes to feed the pigs.

Thanks, R.J.!
Thank you, wonderful Pineapple Room, for hosting us all those years!
And thank you, Pen Women volunteers for all the great work you do!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is wonderful. Since I have been absent from meetings so often due to health reasons, I have decided to not renew my membership in APW this year. And I won't be attending the writers conference, because I no longer write creatively. My blog saps my energy. Maybe, I'll find some other way to socialize with like-minded people.

    ReplyDelete