Monday, September 6, 2010

PLOT 34

I had the good fortune to be invited as a co-gardener with Luke who has gone into the Navy.  He has composted the soil of his plot #34 for years.  There was nothing growing in the plot at the time I came in, except for an asparagus bush, so I was free to plant whatever struck my fancy.  I sure went to town with it: Malabar spinach, Manoa lettuce, two kinds of kale, collard greens, Filipine eggplant, beets, green onions, garlic chives, celery, mint, basil, soy beans, green beans, Swiss chard, ong choy (Chinese spinach), Okinawan sweet potatoes, zuchini, parsley and cilantro.  I started with small seedlings and this is what happened in less than one month of growing in Luke's fantastic soil..

The structure at the end of the plot holds the compost
Happy Swiss chard leaves in the foreground

 Can you believe my first bell peppers!

 And my first eggplants!

Flowers on top of the compost structure

I still am taking care of my half of the #22 plot, which I have been co-gardening with Richard. I will have to give it up, though, since we're not allowed to co-garden more than one plot.  (That is so other people on the long wait list will get a chance to garden too)  Richard has had his plot for something like 19 years and has been composting it diligently.  I really lucked out with the soil, didn't I?  The original soil is clay.  Not too good for gardening.  You should see how beautiful the soil is in Richard's garden.

In my half plot, I've been growing Manoa lettuce, lemongrass, Malabar spinach and raspberry spinach, turmeric, parsley, mint, strawberries (they're small, but oh so delicious!), lavender, marigolds, and nasturtium.  Phil says, "I didn't know I married a farmer."  Guess I should start working on my farmer's tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment