Sunday, December 11, 2011

HONOLULU MARATHON & WALKING ON WATER

Elsha Bohnert, "Annunciation"
Mixed media collage on mahogany wood panel

Since Christmas gets recycled, again and again, I figure I may as well recycle some of my older paintings too.  Above is my warped version of the "Annunciation."  Better not ask me to explain. 

Meanwhile it's raining cats and crocodiles tonight with storms, wind gusts, and flash flood warnings.  My heart goes out to the (as of 3 days ago) 21,286 marathon runners in town for the annual Honolulu Marathon.  If any came with hopes to better their records or even set new records this year, the weather is certainly not playing in their favor.  

The standard distance for the marathon race was set by the International Amateur Athletic Federation in May 1921 at a distance of 42.195 kilometers or 26 miles 385 yards.  That's a long way to go without resting!

The current world record time for men is 2 hours 3 minutes and 38 seconds, set in the Berlin Marathon by Patrick Makau of Kenya on 25 September 2011, an improvement of 21 seconds over the previous record.

The world best for women was set by Paula Radcliffe of Great Britain in the London Marathon on 13 April 2003, in 2 hours 15 minutes and 25 seconds.  

It boggles my mind how someone can run that fast that long.

Compare that to the average:
4 hours 32 minutes 8 seconds for men
5 hours, 6 minutes 8 seconds for women.

And how about the following two record holders?

The world’s oldest runner is 100-year-old, Fauja Singh, who finished the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, and became the first centenarian ever to complete a run of that distance. Singh, a British citizen, finished the race on 16 October 2011 with a time of 8:11:5.9.

Gladys Burrill, a 92-year-old British woman and part-time resident of Hawaii, previously held the Guinness World Records title of oldest person to complete a marathon with her 9 hours 53 minutes performance at the 2010 Honolulu Marathon.

Don't you think that people who accomplish these astonishing feats of running long distances without pausing,should also be able to automatically walk on water?  That way, if Kalakaua Avenue gets flooded (which it often does during heavy rains), they should have no problem.

Elsha Bohnert, "Walk on Water"
Mixed media collage on canvas 

And now for something non-related to running marathons and walking on water:

Elsha Bohnert, "Running in Place"
Acrylic on mahogany panel

Elsha Bohnert, "Telling True Stories"
Mixed media collage on mahogany panel

Ah, telling true stories.  I look forward to the workshops on auto-biographical storytelling by Mark Travis in January.  Here is a description of his workshop (see his website: www.marktravis.com).

"Autobiographical storytelling is more than telling your stories; it is taking the audience on a journey. This is a journey designed and controlled by the storyteller. And performing the solo show is perhaps any actor’s greatest challenge. Not only do you tell the story but also you create a unique and powerful relationship with the audience. You play all the characters, you play yourself at a variety of ages and you narrate the story from various different points of view. Ultimately, and most importantly, you get to take the audience on a very personal journey and allow them to share with you your life experiences in a profound and meaningful manner. For the performing artist this is pure self-expression." 

This is my annual treat, an opportunity to shed new light on my old stories; find the deeper, more subtle patterns; and practice weaving magic... watching my stories walk on water.

4 comments:

  1. I looove your art, Elsha! Someday when I am feeling better, you can show me your work in person. I would love to see it. Have a good time at the APW party today. David will be there to represent me. Say Hi to him, as he says he knows nobody there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gigi. Glad you like my work. Except for a few new pieces still in progress, I have nothing to show you but digital images of old work that are not in my possession anymore.

    I sure missed you at our Pen Women party. I'm so sorry about this new challenge you're facing. What a bummer. David said you have to use eye drops constantly. I hope that that is something temporary and that you'll get relief soon. Surely there is treatment for it?

    Phil and I enjoyed the buffet at the Outrigger today and visited mostly with our table mates. We were sitting at the far (ocean) end of the room while David sat closer to the entrance. Unfortunately I only managed a vary short time with David, before racing out to catch Victoria's play at TAG. I did manage to get some pics of David. I'll email them to you.

    Sending you all the love and blessings you can handle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elsje: The workshop? Auto-biographical? Girl, will you have a story to tell! It will be so, so fascinating. I had written about 200 pages of my so-called auto-biography, but my two laptops recently got stolen from my house, and I did not have a back-up. Maybe you can learn from this...BACKUP on a key or a cloud all the time. Now I will have to start all over. If you need a proofreader, I am available, I do it all the time for our magazine. Love ya, RAIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain, that's a lot of pages to lose! That's so sad. Yeah, you're right about always backing up your work. I send my poems and other important documents to Googledoc and my pictures get saved on a thumbdrive. That should do it okay.

    Thank you for your offer to proofread. I'll definitely take you up on it. You're an angel!

    Are you coming to Hawaii for Xmas?

    ReplyDelete